Sunday, September 02, 2007

He who doesn't dare...

Profit: in the region of $30-$50

I've have waited a whole month; about 150 games and somewhere approaching 50 hours. The cards have been as tough as I can ever remember and the bad beats have been numerous and soul-destroying. Yet, throughout this whole period not once have I considered upping the stakes nor tilt my money off in some other silly way. I've studied my game, when it's been worth studying, and I have made slight adjustments. By not daring, waiting for the variance to turn around and by just playing the best poker I could play, I lost no money through the worst period of poker I have ever endured.

Things were starting to turn around when I last blogged and things have been exceptional ever since. I'm getting decent cards and, importantly, when the money's gone in I've been ahead, even more importantly, the cards have been holding up - like they should do. In terms of strategy I've been going more with my reads and instinct and dropping the hammer when I don't think people have me beat. So if they bet and I have top pair or a draw and I think I'll be ahead I'll either raise them massively or go all in. They may be able to outdraw me, but I'm making sure it costs them their tournament to do it.


As the graph shows. I've been very, very patient with my bankroll management. Merely grinding to keep it at the same level. Now I'm on a bit of a tear so I'm starting to up the stakes a bit. I've played a couple of $5 games and cashed in them.

I think I realised things had turned around when this happened. I called a minimum re-raise with K10 spades to see a flop of AQJ of spades. The other guy went all in.

This is my reward for playing awesome poker over the last month. Not in terms of cards or return on investment, but in terms of ultimate patience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VERY well done sir!! Great work there. My Sharkscope graph looks like the Himalayas with all the peaks and troughs..lol.

I can't remember ever getting into the green either. hahaha.

oh well, nice to see some success! Hope it continues!