Sunday, August 26, 2007

Trying different games.

Profit: $22

It's been better, I can say that. The cards have started to improve a little and I am playing a hell of a lot better.

I've changed tact a little, putting in half pot bets instead of 3/4 pot bets just to minimise how much I lose when people check-raise me (which is either a symptom of these sorts of sit and gos or it's just happening a lot to me) and I've started dropping the hammer a bit more. When I decide someone doesn't have it I push all in or raise a big amount. So much of my frustration and lack of progress in recent weeks has been because people have been hitting their inside straight draws or the boards brought all the cards I don't want to see. I mean, I know you want people to call you when given incorrect odds, but at the moment I just need some confidence boosts by winning pots and building chips.

Looking at the recent comments I've made about my games, most of the times I've not cashed have been due to bad beats so at least I can say I'm playing better. I've not been bubbling much either. Out of the last 20 games I've only bubbled three times (cashed in 13 of those).

So, yeah, things are improving. But only slightly and I don't feel confident enough yet to up my stakes.

In the meantime I've been trying a new card game. It doesn't cost anything to play and is far more enjoyable than poker. It's freecell and I love the way it gets you thinking four/five/six moves into the future in order to solve the puzzle. And what's more, you get to see all the cards. Now that's a game I'd like to play!

Just a quick note. Very sad to hear about the demise of pokerwire. They did a radio show with Joe Stapleton, Joe Sebok and Gavin Smith which was just about the funniest radio show I've every listened to. It's about poker-life rather than hands or strategies and it evolved into something special. The Tom McEvoy arse-wiping story still brings a smile to my face even now. There are about 50 shows (loads from this year's WSOP) and they're well worth listening to. Download them, for free, at itunes.

And just one more thing. It's good to be back in the green!

No comments: