Friday, January 25, 2008

My Worst Session Ever

Loss: $4



I don't think it's the most money I've ever lost or the worst performance in terms of my own play, it simply was an unbeatable session.

Over the course of 600 hands I didn't hit a single set (so obviously no full houses). I rivered straights that were outdone by flushes. A large number of my bets recieved the minimum check raise treatment. I got AK 12 times and failed to win a single significant pot with them. I flopped a lot of hopeless pairs that didn't develop. I missed all my draws (pretty much)....

I ended up losing $27.

I was dead, literally. Before the flop, on the flop, after the flop and on the river. I can't remember having a single hand which I was confident I was ahead with.

And it's not a though I tilted all my money off with crazy, creative displays of reckless flamboyance. The most I lost was on a terrible bad beat AK, flop is KX10, villian goes all in, I call. He tables QQ. Turn J. River 9.

That was for 50bb but that actually was the only bad beat I had. The rest of it was very slow death treatment. 30bb there, 20bb there, 17 bb here.

I felt completely helpless - a feeling that's cropped up a number of times over the past two weeks. Maybe, just maybe, I can suggest from a positive aspect that I managed to minimise my loses on some truly awful cards, (I didn't stack myself through frustration) but I can't really confess that this makes me feel any better because the best solution would have been to play 200 hands and quit then knowing that it's not going to be your day.

This session wipes out the progress I made this week as I made $30 on 888. But even throughout the week I've been dealt some vicious bad beats. Another AK produced a KKX flop and I progressively got someone to commit a lot of their chips with 88. Sadly an 8 came on the river and killed me. In another room I flopped a flush only for my opponent to river a full boat. And the worst one was having KK and pushing someone all in on a XX7X board with three diamonds. My opponent called with 76, one diamond, I had the king of diamonds. River a seven.

What do I do? At Christmas I took a break for a week and came back and went on a tear. I could do that again, but I want to play because I'm sure it's just variance doing me over.

Sigh...

No comments: