Friday, January 05, 2007

My first profit of the new year

Sng account: $275 (profit $16)

I had been playing for about 40 minutes when I decided that something wasn't right. I felt card dead again so I started making a note of my starting hands. I was looking for excuses, just reasons why I might be playing badly (no cards = frustration maybe).

In about 50 hands I got JJ, KQs, 88, A9o, 10Qs, A9o, AQo, KJo. I'd say that's about average, if not better than average (especially considering two premium hands). This was all in a SnG by the way. I'd won a couple of pots, but only for micro amounts so I had about 800 chips when I managed to make the money (in a 5 people paid in a 10 person room). Then I got 88. Someone went all in for 500 so I gambled, won that. Then someone else went all in and I had KK, I called and won that. A short stack went all in the next hand and I had 88 again, called and won. We were now three-handed and I got 22 the next hand, made a bet on the flop and won it.

So much for my card-dead theory, four pocket pairs in a row - I should work the odds out on that.

I ended up coming second in that SnG, making $12. Then I played in a .05/.10 cash room with a slightly different strategy. I went in with half the maximum buy in $5 just to see how I might change my plan. With less money I might play tighter and not bully as much. It seemed to work as I ended up with $12. I called two all ins (they both had about $3) with QJ when the flop showed J62 or something. There were no raises pre-flop so I thought I had a decentish chance. They showed draws and my hand held up. Not sure if it was a great call. But I was getting 2:1 on my money with a strong hand so I guess I made something near the right call.

Anyway... profit! :)

No comments: