Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Evolution in Moderation

The deuces cracked videos are already starting to have an impact on my game. Most influential of which has been using player statistics more to create a reliable read and better suited decisions.

One such example was a player who was short stacking and had doubled up with 22 v AK. A little later I had AJ and raised and he reppoped for 15bb. He had 40bb in total so based on his previous move, the fact that he was very loose 50/35 and had just enough fold equity to maybe lay down his hand, I shoved with AJ. He called and tabled 88 and I Barry Greenstiened him (Ace on the River) but the point was that, numerically speaking, it was the right play because there was a chance he would fold and I was almost certainly in a race if he didn't - which turned out to be the case.

The other move I've picked up is just hammering in all the money on the river instead betting for value if you think your opponent might call with a worse hand. On a board of 101059J I held the 78. With a tiny amount of money in the pot (about $2) I bet, he raised and I thought for a moment before shoving. He called off his 75bb stack with 107. There was a bit of risk there as a lot of hands beat me - I only had the idiot end of the straight. However, the board just seemed to suggest that he had a hand but not as good as mine. I felt he had trips and I was bang on the money.

As far as the staking is concerned, my backer has agreed to extend the deal until the end of August which means I will have a whole month to put these and more strategies to use.Staking bankroll is now $235, down from the low of $85 a week and a half ago.

Now, to explain the evolution in moderation. One thing I'm trying to do is subtly introduce all these things I'm learning into my game. I may be aware of new things, but knowledge and application are two completely different beasts. Experience beyond all else is the most important part of poker. Every time I recognise an opportunity to think about these new strategies I will be at least factoring them in to my final decision. I may decide not to adopt the approach at that time but I will be analysing the hand to see what would have happened had I been in the hand and then take it onto the next situation when I might be more confident and knowledgeable about its application.

You can't just drive because you've seen it in the movies. That's why I'm still taking things slowly but surely.

No comments: