Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Progress update

Loss: $22

First movement in the bankroll in six weeks.

I played in the RTR bounty tournament and had a healthy noose around my neck of $10 which I had to stump myself. I also backed a horse who was donating his winnings to charity so there was no way I was going to make anything from this game.

That must be why I called an allin on the very first hand with tens and ran into aces. Good game, Evertone Yorkie, enjoy my bounty. I was really looking forward to the tournament as well. I'd planned to do a comical commentary about it. It turns out the only funny thing about it will be its length... 60 seconds.

On the cash room front I haven't played that much because I've been visiting my brother in Scotland. I have managed a couple of hands though and increased the bankroll a further $15. Again the river shoving instead of value betting is shoving some nice profits, but I've also run into a couple of stinky situations which I'm not sure I've played right. For the details check out my forum thread about it.

I'm not going to talk about specifics here since all the interesting hands are in that thread. I can talk about concepts though. I'm really starting to make better use of HUD stats for playing against opponents. It used to be that I would just look at their vpip, pre-flop raise %, fold to c.bet and how much money they had won or lost. I've adjusted my stats now though so that I can look at aggression factors, blind stealing, 3bet % (which are quite important for preflop bet sizing) and check-raise tendencies.

I'm thinking a lot more about hands now too. I'm developing two or three plans for each situation and changing my plays as the situations dictate. The final concept I'm more aware of is quicker reactions to changing tables. I'm not staying in tables after the fish have left and I'm re-evaluating the tables every 15 minutes to see if the conditions are still favourable.

It is the videos that have done this, which is why I've decided to fully subscribe up to the site and watch more and more videos.

Poker is intersting again and I like that.

No comments: