Tuesday, October 09, 2007

It's been going well.... except for today

Profit: $20-30 (?)

Again the figures are close to a complete guess because I've not been logging my results as I should do. I have set up poker tracker on my macbook, though, so when I get enough figures I'll start posting them.

The figures were looking very good until today. I would say that for the last week I've been crushing the cash room tables using my new tight/aggressive style. I don't think I had any more red-hot decks but I have been getting maximum value from my hands most of the time.

What I've been learning most over the past week is using a raise as a defensive move. For example, I might raise with top pair no kicker or a draw because, if the player calls I often get to see the river for free. That way I get two chances at my draw and I can put my opponent on a hand if he checks the turn.

So everything was going great until today, sadly. I can't really describe one thing in particular, everything went wrong. It started with this hand.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1568333

For some reason I just convinced myself someone had an overset. I guess by folding I thought I was trying to showoff a huge laydown to myself. Instead I just looked stupid - to myself of course, no one saw what I had. I know this sounds arrogant but I guess my thinking was just above the table. I honestly thought one of them had me utterly crushed.

From then on it was terrible.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1568340

Again I was over thinking this one. Why would he go all in without knowing what action I was going to take on the flop? He got excited and pushed. My reason for calling? I thought he might have a pair with an open-ender or/and a flush draw. This isn't a bad beat hand and it can't really be a cooler because the opponent gave me all the info I needed with his push.

I had loads of these finicky hands (not quite as extreme as that) where I was getting check raised or people were calling the flop and then pushing/big betting the turn. I never got anything better than a pair (when the pots were worth contesting) so I had to fold, fold, fold.

Looking back on my stats the most amount of money I lost in a single hand was $5 in a 25NL. I wasn't getting stacked, I wasn't getting my money in bad, I wasn't getting sucked out on (much, AA, KK and KK got cracked for $3ish a time), I just wasn't getting the right cards or the right situations. I've never known a time where I've played ok and not tilted yet lost so much. I lost $30 which was really frustrating.

Despite that, I've had a good couple of weeks and I'm pleased with my game generally. At least I lost money making laydowns rather than bad calls and bad beats.

The important thing is to react to this in a positive manner during my next couple of sessions.

2 comments:

gniz said...

You are clearly playing better overall. Keep it coming and dont get discouraged!

Aaron

Anonymous said...

Glad to see the poker is improving mate.

Where is the referral? I am still waiting for it to arrive via email!!!