Sunday, January 28, 2007

Not listening to advice.

Break even - or there abouts.

So there I am playing on Full Tilt Cash rooms. Earlier on I'd recover from $0.60 in one room to recoup all of my buy-in. In another I go bust when a flopped set meets a flopped straight. In another I play awesome poker to make $17. That puts me up $7 for the day.

I buy in for $6 and I'm down $2 when I'm dealt 1010. The small blinds raises. I'm wearing of his raise because his vpip is 8% - that means he puts something into the pot roughly 1 in every 11 hands. That's super tight so I'm putting him on a big hand. Flop is 882. He bets $0.50. At this point I'm reckoning a high pocket pair but I need to find out. I raise him to $1.50 so as to force him to make a decision. After about 15 seconds he reraises me all in. So my read based on the statistical information and the fact he's reraised a low-paired board is he's on a high pocket pair. So what do I do? I call of course. He shows QQ and his hand holds up.

There's not much point in playing if I'm not going to trust me read is there? The cash room mantra will keep repeating itself: I must lay down hands when there is good chance I know I'm beat.

I was playing in a sit and go at the same time and got dealt AK. We were down to three and I was short stacked. With 1300 chips, 500 in the pot and a raise I reraised all in and got called by AA. Not really anything I could there I think. Maybe pushing with AK was silly but I needed chips and the blinds would have gobbled me up soon after.

I feel as though I'm learning a lot at the moment. The problem is I'm not acting on what I've learned. Poker Tracker is starting to build a good database of info. In the long term I think I will be ok. But at the moment my play is just plain bad.

No comments: